Our farm is the typical rambling New England farm house with it’s three sections and a large detached barn large enough to hold them all. Each section was built in a different year.
The property, which was originally well over 100 acres, was bought in 1790 by Benjamin and Amelia Taylor. We wanted to pay a little tribute to them, so for our new kitchen, we chose the colors Asher Benjamin and Amelia from the Historic Colors of America by California Paints. The trim and upper cabinets are Andover Cream.
The cape was most likely the original homestead. The main house was built in 1822. We are not sure of the exact date the kitchen building was built, but we can date it back to the early 1900’s using old photographs. When it was built, it probably built as a summer kitchen. Over the years, it was turned into a regular kitchen.
We updated, without taking away from the history. We added pieces, such as the up-cycled Hoosier island. Our Hoosier was built during the 1940’s, and is sadly missing the top. A Hoosier was the baking station for woman of that era.
Our Hoosier island also goes well with the 1945 Maytag wringer washer that is on the left in the picture. Yes, that is our washer, our only washer.