Herbs To Treat Illness Dates Back 5000 Years
Magazines, television and other media make using herbs out to be this new trend in health care.
Herbs have been used for natural healing for over 5000 years. The medicinal benefits of herbs have been used for centuries by many different cultures all over the world. Man has always been dependent on herbs. What was a healing herb a hundred years ago is still a healing herb today. Many of the benefits of herbs are not so much based on scientific study but rather on the observations made by herbal healers through the centuries. Even Dr. Oz touts the benefits of using herbs for natural healing.
As natural as herbs are, they are still potent medicine, and should be treated as such. Herbs should be treated with as much care and respect, as the prescription you just got from your doctor. Herbs are medicines and it is so important to follow the recommended dosages that your herbalist, or natural health care provider gives you.
Herbs, when used correctly are safe, gentle on the body, and very effective. Herbs are typically milder than synthetic drugs and have fewer side effects. They work differently than allopathic medicine does. Herbs go to the “core” of your body and work outwards. Herbs take a bit longer to work. Just don’t overdo, because you can overdose. More does not equal faster results. Some are dangerous if taken improperly or for extended periods of time. Most problems stem from overuse and misuse. Follow your health care providers suggestions for use!
Today’s doctors and pharmacists have little training in herbal medicine, so if you are going to go the natural herbal route for healing, you will need to find a practitioner who has training in this area. Practitioners with knowledge of herbs include herbalists, homeopaths, naturopaths, and doctors of Oriental medicine.
Herbal treatments will include tea, tinctures, extracts, creams, lotions, or capsules. These are made up using leaves, bark, berries, roots, gums, seeds, stems and flowers of the herb.
Herbal treatments are natural, but it is important that you follow these important guidelines:
- DON’T EVER self-diagnose. Be sure to see a doctor for a diagnosis before seeking alternative care. Proper medical care is critical to good health.
- Work with your alternative care provider and your doctor. If you are currently taking any medication, you will have to work with your doctor before discontinuing any drug or starting any herbal treatment. Make sure your doctor knows about any herbal supplements you are taking. There could be possible interactions with other treatments you are receiving.
- If you’re pregnant (or trying to get pregnant) or breast-feeding, avoid herbal remedies. Substances in these remedies may pass to your baby.
- Do not be fooled by the word “natural”. Natural is only safe when used appropriately. They are natures medicine, and should be treated that way. Natural plants can be highly toxic or poisonous. Before using any natural remedy, be sure that you know what it is used for, how to use it, and the possible side effects. Never exceed the recommended dose.
- Keep in mind. Many herbs are effective on their own, but some work even better if they are part of a comprehensive treatment plan focusing on diet and lifestyle changes as well
Herbs are such a benefit to our life. Please be sure to use that benefit wisely.
Herbal Healing Encyclopedia
- Online Herbal Encyclopedia :: Alternative Medicine and Health
Encyclopedia of herbal knowledge. Herb history, key actions, and components. Learn about medicinal parts, cautions and traditional uses used for centuries. No to be used to self diagnose or treat an illness. For information only.