What Is Poison Ivy?
Poison ivy is a type of contact dermatitis. This happens when the skin is touched by an allergen. With poison ivy, when your skin comes in contact with urushiol, the poison part of the plant, you skin breaks out in a hive type rash. The rash can be just a slight rash, or it can be severe. It all depends on how your body reacts to the urushiol. If the rash gets severe, it should be looked at by a doctor, as it could become infected if not cleaned properly.
When your skin touches the poison ivy, the skin will have a slight itch. Then, small blisters along where the leaf has touched will form. This is part of the reason why poison ivy sometimes can be a line, rather than just a blotch. The rash usually starts within a few hours after exposure. This depends on how sensitive your body is to the urushiol.
The rash can last up to two weeks, or more. It will start to heal over after a few days, but the itch and rash appearance can last longer.
Gather The Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon non iodized salt
1/2 cup water
5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil. Peppermint essential oil can burn, so be careful.
10 drops of lavender essential oil. Lavender is antibacterial and anti-fungal and will help stop the rash from getting infected if too much itching occurs.
1/4 cup powdered plantain leaf or chickweed. Either can be used as both are used to stop itch.
Approx. 1/2 cup green clay. Red clay, bentonite, or kaolin clay can also be used. The clay is what will draw out the toxins or poisons of the urushiol from the poison ivy.
One 8 ounce dark glass bottle.
Protection Is A Must
Protecting yourself against getting the poison ivy rash is the best defense. If you know where is grows, it is best to stay away from that area.
If you aren’t aware of where it grows, wearing long pants and even long sleeve shirts will help to give you some protection.
After walking through the woods, it is important for you to wash and rinse the clothes very well. If the urushiol poison is on the clothes, you need to get it off. If not washed properly, the urushiol can actually stay on the clothes from one season to the next.
In order to clean the clothes thoroughly, you will need to use the hottest water that the fabric will allow. Rinse and repeat several times. You can added tea tree, or thyme essential oils to the wash water. Both of these essential oils are anti-fungal, as well as antibacterial.
Making The Poison Ivy Lotion
Gather all the ingredients.
Place the water in a non metallic bowl. It is best to use a non metal bowl so that it does not react with the herbs, essential oils, or clay.
Add the salt, plantain or chickweed and the clay. Mix all the dry ingredients well.
Add the water. Pour slowly, as not to splash. Mix well until it is a smooth and creamy consistency.
You may need to add more clay, or more water to get the right consistency.
Now, add the essential oils. Stir them in well.
Pour the lotion into dark glass bottles or jars. They can be stored in the refrigerator, so that the lotion is cooling as it is put on.
The lotion works quickly to take away the itch so that the patient does not want to keep scratching. It works very effectively.
How Clay Works
Green, red or bentonite clay is used to draw out toxins from the skin. The green clay is used mostly for drawing out toxic substances from the skin, and can even be used to draw out a wood splinter from the finger. Clay is also used to heal minor burns and repair damaged skin tissues.
The light clays, like bentonite and kaolin are generally used for healing dry skin. Green clay is used for all skin types, while red clays are used to help oily skin. This way, they are generally used in making clay masks for beauty.
Using clay as a detox for drawing out poisons has been done since prehistoric times. Many people around the world still use clay for medicinal healing. They are very effective in treating candida, and is used in many OTC preparations for acne.
Clays are primarily used as an external application, but many over the counter medicines have included clay in their recipes. Some, as with Kaopectate changed the formula due to the FDA showing the lack of evidence that attapulgite, a clay found in the South East US, had any medicinal value.
Numerous medicines, as well as traditional healers use kaolin clay, which has long been a traditional remedy to soothe an upset stomach.
Caution of Taking Clay Internally
Clay is a marvelous thing from nature. Just because it is natural, does not mean it is safe for you. Clay, when taken internally can cause bowel blockage. It has to be balanced with drinking plenty of water. Please seek out a person who can advise you on exactly how to use clay for detoxifying the intestines.